Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Oops I did it....(never) again...

I've heard that moving is the second most stressful event a person can go through, second only to the loss of a spouse. And now it all makes sense. I haven't even gotten to the actual moving (that part seems easy-peasy) but the steps leading up to it....oy.

It really has been beyond overwhelming. In the past two days, I've cried twice, yelled at my dog (thus prompting the first crying spurt), taken a fake sick day, made 1,023,049 1/2 phone calls trying to get my closing statement, made 8,872 additional phone calls to my broker and my agent just because I can, spent my entire life's savings (thank goodness for payday), and signed and signed my life away. People keep asking me what colors I'll paint the walls. What furniture I'll buy. When I'll have my first housewarming party. Paint? Walls? Furniture? Parties? There are walls and paint and furniture and parties involved in this event?

I hear it's all worth it in the end, but at the moment I feel like crawling back into bed.

Then again, I've also heard that single women now make up 21% of home purchases. I remember just a few years ago, the episode of Sex and the City where Miranda buys her first home and is stunned by the raised eyebrows and the "single woman boxes" that she has to keep checking and checking and checking.

There were a lot of "single women" statements in my paperwork, but at twenty one percent, I feel very proud to be a part of that statistic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Buying your own place (and then moving) is without a doubt one of the most stressful events ever. But trust me: it does get better, and the memories of stress fade.

As for the housewarming and painting issues... no need to rush, I say!

I settled the purchase of my apartment in late June, moved in Sept, and didn't have a housewarming until March. And the painting I was planning to do? Ummm... yeah... never got around to that...

In the end, it is all worth it though.

Did you really have single woman boxes to tick on your application? I always found that weird in the SATC episode with Miranda, since I didn't have any of those boxes on my mortgage application forms here in Australia. I have no idea what the percentage of single woman buyers is here, but it seems really strange to have to declare yourself as a single woman.

3:45 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh, no. I didn't have to check boxes. But there were a few places where it said Theresa LastName, a single woman. According to the title woman, it would say, a single man or a married couple.

Though we all agreed that "a single woman" sounds much better than "an unmarried woman." More positive.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm so happy for you! I know this seems like a bit of hell right now, but as soon as you spend your first night in your new house, it'll all feel a lot more worth it.
All the best to you!

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home