Thursday, March 01, 2007

Oscar disappointments



No, I'm not talking fashion (though while we're on the subject of fashion, what was Anne Hathaway thinking?) I'm talking disappointment.

For those who haven't seen Little Children, it's a must see this season. The movie is the story of suburban marrieds and the (unexpected) connections between their lives as they struggle to find happiness. And unfortunately, it earned not one award at this year's Oscars. It was up for three: the divine Kate Winslet for best actress (who didn't have a chance against Helen Mirren; the comeback kid Jackie Earle Haley for best supporting actor (my personal pick, though I knew he'd never win); and best screenplay adaptation. I thought for sure it would win for best screenplay, which would perhaps get more people to watch it. The screenplay is based on Tom Perrotta's novel and was sheer brilliance.

While you're at it, go ahead and read the book, too. Again: Brilliant.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Thank you for the comment on AH - you're not Audrey, you're a young, beautiful woman - dress like it!

I can't wait to see this movie!

5:31 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh, it's so good. I can't wait to hear your take on it!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hi Tessa,

I love Kate. I am so curious about this movie as I am a suburban married looking for happiness--HA!
I love that the Bad News Bears guy was in it. I think I will read the book.
Thanks for this review and for the book title.

How is the new digs? Are you all settled in? I hope you are beyond happy there!

Lovely day to you.

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home